- Figurehead: Act as a role model for subordinates.
- Leader: Lead organization to achieve objective.
- Liaison: Communicator for establishing and maintain mutual understanding and corporation. Act as a 3rd party to resolve conflicts.
- Monitor: Monitor the performance and provide help and guidance when needed.
- Disseminator: To spread information.
- Spokesperson: act as an agent of owners of organization.
- Entrepreneur: One who organizes, manages and assumes the risks of a business.
- Disturbance handler: In case of strikes, shortage of resources, the manager takes responsibility and respond to situations to resolve such crises.
- Resource allocator: manager organizes company resources, assign them roles and allocate it to proper head, to secure optimum output.
- Negotiator: In organization, the management is always in communication with external world. In this role manager tries to bring benefits to the organizing by making a bigger & better deal, on low price and in accordance with needs of organization.
Managerial Skills and Competencies
- A skill is an ability to translate knowledge into action that results in a desired performance.
- Categories of skills:
- Technical skills.
- An ability to perform specialized tasks.
- Derives from knowledge of expertise gained from education or experience.
- Proficiency at using select methods, processes, and procedures to accomplish tasks.
- Human skills.
- An ability to work well with other people.
- Emerges as a spirit of trust, enthusiasm, and genuine involvement in interpersonal relationships.
- Capacity for understanding and empathizing.
- Engages in persuasive communication.
- Deals successfully with conflicts.
- Conceptual skills.
- An ability to see and understand how the system works, and how the parts are interrelated.
- Used to:
- Identify problems and opportunities.
- Gather and interpret relevant information.
- Make good problem-solving decisions.