Difference between Leadership and Management:
- Management promotes stability or enables the organization to run smoothly. And it rely on the rules and policies already and use organizational resources to best possible way to maximize output. They manage resources by the rules and regulation.
- Leadership promotes adaptive or useful changes. They influence subordinates to act when needed. They are innovative and think out of box. They lead team to a desire goal and objective achievement.
Forms of leadership:
- Formal leadership
- Informal leadership
- These theories believe that all leaders share some specific characteristics which make them leaders and the leadership characteristics are associated to family.
- Assume that traits play a key role in:
- Differentiating between leaders and non-leaders.
- Predicting leader or organizational outcomes.
- Great-person-trait approach.
- Earliest approach in studying leadership.
- Tried to determine the traits that characterized great leaders.
Identifiable Characteristics of Leaders
- Operate on an even keel.
- Seek power as a means of achieving a vision or goal.
- High need for achievement.
- Recognize their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Oriented toward self-improvement.
- Not easily discouraged.
- Deals well with large amounts of information.
- Above-average intelligence.
- Good understanding of their social setting.
- Possess specific knowledge concerning their industry, firm, and job.
- Assume that leader behaviors are crucial for explaining performance and other organizational outcomes.
- Developed by Robert Blake and Jane Mouton.
- Built on dual emphasis of consideration and initiating structure.
- A 9 x 9 Grid (matrix) reflecting levels of concern for people and concern for task.
- 1 reflects minimum concern.
- 9 reflect maximum concern.
- Five key Grid combinations.
- 1/1 — low concern for production, low concern for people.
- 1/9 — low concern for production, high concern for people.
- 5/5 — moderate concern for production, moderate concern for people.
- 9/1 — high concern for production, low concern for people.
- 9/9 — high concern for production, high concern for people.