Spread the love
Manager and Their Roles
- Utilize organization resources at optimum level
- Act as a role model for subordinates.
- Act as a super visor, oversee the work or subordinates.
- Stick to schedule and strive for maximum, quality output.
- Assume roles such as coordinator, coach, or team leader.
- An effective manager is one whose organizational unit, group, or team consistently achieves its goals while its members remain motivated and align to the organization objectives.
- Key results of effective management:
- Task performance.
- Job satisfaction.
Functions of management:
- There are four main functions of management which includes:
- Planning is a step to answer 4 questions. What, When, How and Where.
- In this function of management, Managers set short term goals, and identify actions needed to achieve them.
- For example a short term goal for trading company will to increase its sales by 20%. Proper action for such goal achievement will be to increase reach to different areas or make new effective advertisement or give commission to sale agents for making extra sales.
- After planning the next step is organizing resources for achievement of such short term goal set by managers.
- Like to achieve certain goals organization may need to define teams. To pay commission or make new advertisement organization may need capital
- Creating work structures and systems, and arranging resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- This function of management is leading organizing resources and employee toward achievement of short term goal.
- Here the Manager works as role model, coach, mentor, motivator, and leader.
- Leading includes making employee loyal to objective, providing guidance, motivating them to work hard, and maintaining good interpersonal relations.
- This function gives manager authority over others. To resolve any issue expected or unexpected.
- In this function manager role is to avoid conflicts, monitoring performance and taking corrective action as necessary.
- Interpersonal roles.
- Figurehead: Act as a role model for subordinates.
- Leader: Lead organization to achieve objective.
- Liaison: Communicator for establishing and maintain mutual understanding and corporation. Act as a 3rd party to resolve conflicts.
- Informational roles.
- Monitor: Monitor the performance and provide help and guidance when needed.
- Disseminator: To spread information.
- Spokesperson: act as an agent of owners of organization.
- Decisional roles.
- Entrepreneur: One who organizes, manages and assumes the risks of a business.
- Disturbance handler: In case of strikes, shortage of resources, the manager takes responsibility and respond to situations to resolve such crises.
- Resource allocator: manager organizes company resources, assign them roles and allocate it to proper head, to secure optimum output.
- Negotiator: In organization, the management is always in communication with external world. In this role manager tries to bring benefits to the organizing by making a bigger & better deal, on low price and in accordance with needs of organization.